Organisations are becoming more reliant on technology and the risk of a cyber attack is increasing, with an estimate of 40% of UK businesses receiving a cyber attack or breach this year! With stricter standards of data processing due to the UK GDPR 2021 and DPA 2018, ensuring your business has the correct cyber security defences is now a necessity.
Implementing an effective cyber security strategy across your organisation can seem like a real headache. With so many requirements, options and technical jargon, it can be easy to get lost in the cyber security world and know what is best for your business and knowing what your business actually needs.
At Mitigate Cyber, we want to be the cure for this headache, by making cyber security simple, accessible whilst tailoring cyber security to your business. We do this by continuously developing our products and services to create an effective cyber security offering.
Miticert is the new feature that we are introducing to our Mitigate Cyber user hub.
What is Miticert and Cyber Essentials/Cyber Essentials Plus?
Miticert is our Cyber Essentials service that we offer in our essential products and services.
Cyber Essentials is a government-backed certificate that was introduced in 2014. The scheme is used to demonstrate that organisations have appropriate security and defences in place against common cyber attacks and data breaches.
Cyber Essentials works by evaluating a company’s technology defences to determine the current vulnerabilities and risk level. Once these risks are identified and managed, the organisation will be awarded the Cyber Essentials certificate.
There are two options of certification available; Cyber Essentials and Cyber Essentials Plus, and either can be used to determine the security of a company.
Cyber Essentials: This is the basic certification option and is awarded following the completion of a self-assessment questionnaire. Depending on the information given in the self-assessment, the business will receive a PASS or FAIL, highlighting any detected vulnerabilities. Once a PASS is awarded, the business will receive the certification.
Cyber Essentials Plus: This is very similar to Cyber Essentials, however, rather than completing a self-assessment questionnaire, onsite internal and external vulnerability tests are performed on the business’s systems to determine the risk level. This then results in an in-depth evaluation providing methods to alleviate the chances of a breach. Once a PASS is awarded, the business will receive the certification.
There are many benefits to annually achieving Cyber Essentials certification, these include:
- Preventing an average of 80% of common cyber attacks.
- Cyber insurance agencies look more favourably on organisations that have achieved Cyber Essentials certification – thus, lowering insurance premiums.
- Since the introduction of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) in 2018 (and with the further introduction of UK GDPR 2021) organisations are required to raise their standards of data handling and processing by demonstrating GDPR compliance. Cyber Essentials can help organisations meet these standards by ensuring compliance through monitoring your internal security and reducing the risk of a data breach.
- Cyber Essentials certification is a way to demonstrate to clients and vendors that you take cyber security seriously by ensuring your organisation implements and maintains high standards of security.
Cyber Essentials and Mitigate Cyber
We strive for simplicity and convenience at Mitigate Cyber, and so we have decided to develop this process to become a more convenient and streamlined procedure by keeping all of our solutions available in one place.
On the 5th May 2021, we have fully released Miticert! This means that you and our clients can now:
- Complete Cyber Essentials questionnaires directly through our state-of-the-art user portal.
- A direct contact to an assessor who can assist with any queries and promptly answer any questions.
- Access to a support base for any FAQs.
- Download and view your certificates directly on the user portal.
Mitigating your organisational risk has just become even easier, if you would like to implement Cyber Essentials certification into your business, speak to one of our experts today!
Are you ready to protect your organisation?