UK PLC is facing an unprecedented and largely unseen threat from ‘cyber’ crime…computer based crime targeting public and private computer systems with the intent of accessing personal and commercial data and financial information.
With ever greater openness, interconnection and dependency comes greater vulnerability. The UK government’s National Security Strategy categorised cyber-attacks as a ‘Tier One’ threat to our national security, alongside international terrorism.
The threat is real and growing.
81% of large corporations and 60% of small businesses reported a cyber breach in 2013. With the cost for the worst cyber-security breach estimated between £600,000 to £1.15 million for large businesses and £65,000 to £115,000 for smaller ones, the government must look at new ways to protect businesses and make the UK more resilient to cyber attacks and crime.
Source: www.gov.uk (Keeping the UK safe in cyberspace)
The aim of this workshop is to raise awareness of the cyber threat and the ways businesses can minimise their exposure to online attacks.
This event will also focus on Cyber Essentials and Cyber Essentials + schemes, basic frameworks which have become the baseline commitment for cyber security required by government contracts and aimed to be accessible for small to medium businesses.
Benefits of attending:
- Gain knowledge of the outside threats to SMEs in the modern world
- Gain awareness of the major threats of cyber-attacks currently at large
- Achieve an understanding of how to incorporate cyber security into your processes
- Gain knowledge of how cyber security will enhance your services
- Learn how to evaluate a client’s assets and the impact of a breach on the business
- Learn how cyber security enhances a client’s policies through the mitigation of risk
- Learn what Cyber Essentials is and who it is for
- Achieve an understanding of the difference between Cyber Essentials and Cyber Essentials +
- Achieve an understanding of how to attain the standard
- Learn how the Business Growth Hub’s Co-investment programme can help you finance implementation or enhancements of your internal Cyber Security processes and standards.â€‹
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
To be eligible to attend this event please ensure you meet the following criteria:
- Your business is based in Greater Manchester.
- You employ fewer than 250 full-time employees.
- You can demonstrate that you are a growing business and plan to employ 5 new employees in the next 3 years.
- Your annual turnover is less than €50 million and/or your annual balance sheet total is less than €43 million.